This property was originally a “2 up, 2 down” mid-terrace 2-storey local authority house dating from the 1930’s, with a private rear garden facing directly due south.
The project involved deep retrofit of the existing building fabric, back to bare structural walls. The refurbishment works included external insulation of all external walls, extending the 1st floor ceilings into the loft space and insulation of the roof, installation of a new insulated ground floor slab, installation of new powder-coated alumium triple-glazed windows, and new mechanical & electrical services throughout.
A new 1-storey addition of 46 sq. m. was constructed to the rear, to accommodate kitchen/ dining & living room areas each with their own distinct spaces. A smaller 1st floor addition provides an additional bedroom & 2 bathrooms; the latter naturally-lit with generous glazed rooflights.
A frameless wrap-around window helps to connect the interior living space with the garden, and gives a greater sense of space and depth. The deep window reveals provide an external bench seat for outside dining.
A wood-burning stove is centrally located to provide a visual focus and a supplementary “green” heat source. The exposed timber roof joists extend through the rooflight opening to diffuse the natural light.