ORIGINAL AREA: 75 sq.m. NEW ADDITION: 120 sq.m. VALUE: n/a DURATION: 8 months BER RATING:
- The original house was a typical 1930’s “2 up, 2 down” semi-detached former local authority house built in the 1930’s, situated at the end of a settled residential road with a small public park immediately adjacent. The garden contains wonderful specimen trees dating from the original Beaufield estate.
- Having secured a wonderful site, the owners needed to substantially increase the size of the house for their growing family. They were interested in a contemporary configuration which would maximise connections with the garden and the potential of the site orientation for natural lighting.
- The original house is divided horizontally. The ground floor contains a granny-flat which continues to be accessed by the original front door. Upstairs 2 bedrooms connect at 1st floor level to the new addition.
- A new ‘wing’ has been constructed at right-angles to the original house, forming a courtyard space to the rear. This new addition is part 1-storey and part 2-storey, enabling more generous ceiling heights in the living spaces. Large glazed panels open to the south and west, while smaller high-level windows are located to the long north-facing façade.
- A sloping curved roof profile diminishes the impact of the scale of the building on the streetscape, while maximising space and light to the upper floor interior.
- Both new and original buildings are wrapped in a substantial quantities of breathable external wall insulation and render system, and ventilation is by way of a moisture-activated mechanical system.